Thursday, March 11, 2010

A student's view of airport facilities for the disabled.


One of my student, who is in his third semester of the Bachelor in Aviation Management wrote this in his learning log.....


In a group or team, everyone should give their best effort in order to achieve the goals that they have planned.Thinking about this makes me wonder how people work together until they could become so advanced in their lifestyle. We could see this in the 1st world country where they have achieved high standard in their politics, economics, social, technology, legal and environmental aspects. If we look into this matter, how can a group of people differ from the other? How a country becomes so much advanced than the others? How the mentality of the members in the group or society is shaped until they could give their best in their work? Is it genetics that plays the role? Or years of country independence that makes people become so much different in different country? Or we could say that leadership that influences people? Or is it me that has done mistakes which influenced other people to commit the same mistakes? Could man blame God for all the sufferings in the world?
If we relate this to the aviation industry, I could say that it is our own fault that leads to the mistakes and problem that occurs. Recently, my group conducted survey to LCCT and KLIA to compare the facilities provided for the poor, elderly and disabled (PED) people. What I observed is that the facilities in LCCT for PED is really bad to the point that counter for wheelchair is closed and no one cares to attend people in need. The toilet is not clean and normal people use the PED toilet freely. In KLIA the facilities for PED much better but still the environment not friendly enough for PED to feel warmly treated by the service provided. Some workers do not even smile for the customer that they serve. I do wonder how in Japan they could maintain their service and cleanliness very well. Is it different how people think in Malaysia and how people think in Japan?
After all the thoughts that came across my mind, I realize that there is no room for me to blame others for I am part of the society and I am weak as well to change others even when working with my group members. We alone could not change the world but we need others to colour the world together. This life is a journey and I take what is necessary for me to reach destination.

By Ahmad Siddiq Hassan

No comments:

Post a Comment